Wednesday, May 26, 2010

More things for Olivia....

I have been debating on whether or not I was going to sew Olivia's name to hang on her wall like I did for Chloe:

However, I decided that I wanted to try something different. Instead, I bought wooden letters from Hobby Lobby and decoupaged scrapbook paper on the letters. It took me two days and two different trips to Hobby Lobby to find the right paper, but I just love the way Olivia's name turned out and cannot wait to hang them in her room. Of course, I have to wait a month until we move to our new house, but it is worth the wait!

(That is Spenser's cute little hand trying to grab the O and run away with it....which he was successful with right after I took the photo)

Children's Museum

Last week we took the kids to the children's museum for the afternoon. The next day Joul left for Boston, so it was a big help that the kids were still so exhausted from all the fun they had at the museum.
All the play cars were Spenser's favorite
Chloe in the little house having a tea party
Spenser and his leash so he could walk around the rest of the museum
The outside water area where both kids had a ton of fun

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Burp Cloths

Here are some pictures of another sewing project I recently finished. Of course, this sewing project was not nearly as time consuming as the diaper bag.

I first started with these: white premium 6-ply prefolded cloth diapers ($10)

I added some fabric to each middle section and ended up with these:

For very little money, I have my own unique burp cloths. Aren't they cute?

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Did I seriously make that?

Okay, so I still have no idea how I managed to actually sew and make Olivia's diaper bag. I spent several hours a day (during nap time/quiet time) for a few days cutting out just the material for this bag. Then, my wonderful husband came home early yesterday and I was able to spend a solid five hours on the thing. I know, five hours, but I do believe it was worth it. I was able to pick out the fabric I wanted and I even added my own special touch by sewing on Olivia's name on the front of the bag. I do believe that it will be a VERY long time before I even attempt making another bag, but I am proud of myself for not giving up and actually accomplishing such a huge task.

Here is the before picture: This is probably about half of the fabric I had cut out for the bag, it wouldn't all fit in the picture!

The finished product (and it only cost me about $10 in materials!)

The inside of the bag with the two side pockets

The outside back pocket (pulled open so you can see the pretty fabric)

I also sewed two outside pockets on the sides of the bag...for cups and stuff. The inside of those pockets is lined with the same material as the pocket in the above picture.

More sewing projects and pictures to come soon...

Monday, May 3, 2010

Olivia's Nursery

Okay, so I have decided to try and make/sew as many items for Olivia's nursery as I possibly can. My goal is to sew the crib skirt, sew the curtains, make the storage fabric boxes, make the decorations, and various other items. I also found and bought Olivia's giant dresser/changing table at a garage sale for only $45! I am planning on making Joul paint it an antique blue.

Here is the before picture of the dresser at the garage sale: just imagine that it will be much prettier in a few weeks!

I am also currently working on sewing Olivia's diaper bag. Now, I have never taken on such a huge task, but I am determined to make it work, as Tim Gunn would say on Project Runway.

Anyway, I finished my first official item for Olivia's nursery last night. Thanks to taking an after-church nap, I was unable to go to bed and thus got crafty. I decided to take a cardboard box and make that box, using fabric and a hot glue gun, into the diaper box for Olivia's changing table.